Malatya is located in the west of the Eastern Anatolia Region, at the junction of roads extending in the east-west and north-south direction. According to the findings from Cafer Höyük, under the Karakaya Dam, the history of Malatya goes nine thousand years back. Malatya has been an important settlement center in every period of history due to the intersection of trade routes coming from Central Asia, the Middle East and Mesopotamia and its location that gives access to the western world. Malatya is a very interesting destination with its cultural, historical and natural assets.
Arslantepe Open Air Museum
Considered as the most important archaeological site of Malatya. Excavations have been carried out since 1932, Arslantepe was converted into an open-air museum and opened to visitors in 2011. Replicas of two lion sculptures and wall reliefs made of the same material were placed at the entrance of the museum with the Tarhunza The King of Malatya, which were found in the years 1900-1932 and taken to Ankara. Visitors can see the mudbrick palace, wall decorations and other remains in the excavation area. The finds, which are not preserved or displayed in Arslantepe, are exhibited in the Malatya Museum.
Old Malatya (Battalgazi) and Ulu Mosque
Located in Battalgazi district (Old Malatya), this mosque was built in 1224 during the time of Seljuk Ruler Alaaddin Keykubat. The parts made of brick show the first mosque shape, while the stone show the later additions. It is the first and only example in Anatolia of the great Seljuk mosques in Iran with a plan with four iwans. Geometric stars and crosses made of turquoise and aubergine tile mosaics, the inscription remaining on the arch and the columns covered with ceramic mosaics in zigzag form are the striking decorations of the mosque. The inner surface of the dome has a fantastic tile decoration with a brick coating.
Silahtar Mustafa Pasha Caravanserai
In Battalgazi district, it was built in 1637. This caravanserai, located on the roads leading to the east, is important in terms of showing the commercial density of the city. The inn, which has a military function as well as a commercial, was founded on a very solid foundation.
Somuncu Baba Mosque and Mausoleum
Somuncu Baba Mausoleum in the Zaviye district is located together with Somuncu Baba Mosque and Balıklı Lake. The minaret of the mosque is dated 1686. There is a tomb in the middle of the mosque and inside it is a sarcophagus made of woodwork from the Republic era. To the south of the mosque is a rectangular room that is used as a library today. There are stone-built tombs inside the mausoleum.
This natural wonder, which is about 65 million years old, is the product of geological deformations and stretches some 28 kilometers long. The valley contains extremely interesting geological formations, cliffs and hundreds of caves dominated by rock reliefs on the walls. With its observation terrace, its geology and cultural assets, it has played an important role in the promotion of Levent Valley, which is one of the most important geoarchaeological centers of Anatolia.
Roman City Walls
The construction of the first walls started in the Titus Period. Constans I (363) continued the building and Justinian (532) finalized the construction. The walls, which once protected the city of Melitene against external factors, are now in ruins. According to the records, it is understood that the wall has 95 towers and 11 gates. The fortification moat of the castle was expanded in 1060 and the city walls on September 18, 1102, were repaired. Evliya Çelebi gives information about Kale in his Seyahatname.
Located in Girmana neighborhood of Hekimhan district which is 60 km from the center of Malatya. In the valley, which attracts attention with its steep cliffs, terraces and natural beauties, there is a recreation area and a 4 km walking path.
Zeynel Abidin Mausoleum
It is thought that the mausoleum belongs to Imam Zeynel Abidin, son of Hz. Huseyin. It is rumored that Imam Zeynel Abidin received his sacred relics from his father, Imam Hussein at Karbala. The tomb does not have any inscription.
Zeynel Abidin Mausoleum was rebuilt by moving it near the Atabey Pier in Battalgazi district, which is its current location.
Sultansuyu Stables, located within the boundaries of Akçadağ district, in Sultansuyu Valley on the Malatya-Kayseri highway. 27 kilometers west of Malatya, and is between Malatya Erhaç Airport and Tohma Valley.
It was founded in 1865 to meet the army's animal and product needs such as horse, felt and fleece. After the proclamation of the Constitutional Monarchy (1908), the facility was abolished and transferred to the treasury, until 1915 it continued by renting it to the public. In 1915, a foal depot was established in the Aziziye Barracks, which is still active, and its surrounding area of 500 decares was included in the stables.
This organization was dissolved in 1924 and an artillery regiment was established in its place. After the artillery regiment, which had been in service until 1928, was removed from here, the Eastern and Central Anatolian provinces, horse breeding and breeding purebred Arabian horses with a desert character, thereby ensuring the blood change of the homeland horses and at the same time, to raise the light cavalry horse that the army needs, "Sultansuyu" The stud farm was established. The stud farm, which is still operated, is famous for its purebred Arabian horses.
It is approximately 150 km from the center of Malatya and 30 km from Arapgir district. Bridge has an architectural style with high arches made of cut stone and settled on the main rocks in the deep canyon, the west side of which is steep rock. The bridge differs from the Ottoman period bridges in terms of architectural style. It is thought to be from the Late Roman Period. (3-4 centuries B.C.E)
Taşhan is in Hekimhan district center. It was built in two sections. In the first part, there is an inscription written on the left side of the entrance door of the building in Armenian, in the middle of Seljuk, and on the right in Syriac. The date written in Arabic is 1218 CE.
Malatya Archaeology Museum
The archaeological museum, where works from the Neolithic, Chalcolithic, Bronze Age, Hittite, Assyrian, Urartian, Roman, Byzantine, Seljuk and Ottoman periods are exhibited, is located in Kernek district. The artifacts unearthed from the excavations in Arslantepe Höyük, Cafer Höyük, İmamoğlu Höyük, Pirat Höyük, Köşkerbaba Höyük and the artefacts from rescue excavations carried out by the museum management are displayed chronologically and thematically in 32 showcases in three exhibition halls. Most of the works exhibited in the museum are Arslantepe finds.
The Grazing Karaca Floor Mosaic, which was removed and brought to the museum in the village of Doğanşehir Günedoğru, and the grave monuments of different periods are also open to visitors.
Atatürk House Museum
Atatürk House Museum is a 19th century Ottoman structure made of cut stone. Atatürk used this building when he came to Malatya in 1931 and 1937. The building, which was previously used as a community center and public educational center, has been turned into a museum. The museum, which is organized as a hall and six separate rooms, including a room in which the objects Atatürk used when he came to Malatya are exhibited.
Beş Konaklar Ethnography Museum and Traditional Malatya House
The mansions on the Saray Mahallesi Cinema Street bear the characteristics of traditional Malatya mansions. These buildings, consisting of five mansions side by side, are two-story houses facing the street. Of these, two of the three-story mansions, four rooms of the Malatya house and six of them were opened as an ethnographic work. Mansions, which are beautiful examples of civil architecture, were built in the early 1900s. In the bedrooms on the upper floors, there are double-winged wooden door closets. Here, there is a living room called the winter roof, which is generally used in winter. This section is higher than the room level, and the bench here is covered with carpets and cushions.
The mausoleum located in the Ozan Village of Darende district and called as Mescit by the village people belongs to the Roman period and is approximately 500 m north of the village and between the apricot orchards. The Tohma Stream flows 100 m west of the monument.
It is located in Battalgazi district and in the old cemetery. This building, which was mistakenly known as a masjid (prayer building), is actually a mausoleum with a crypt. The work built on a square plan has two parts. In the first part, the place where the body is buried is seen in the crypt. The second part, called the tomb, is the upper part that the people once visited.
The construction of the monument in the square in front of the Provincial Mansion started in 1946 and was completed in 1947. Its sculptor is Nejat Sirel and Hakkı Atamulu. Antique white stone was used in the base part. There are fully equipped Mehmetçik, a young athlete holding a disc in his hand, a book in his left hand, a student with a torch in his right hand, a male and female farmer in a wheat field, and a hammer and an anvil on four sides of the monument.
The museum, designed in memory of İsmet İnönü, a statesman, soldier, second president and former prime minister from Malatya, is located on the ground floor of the Rectorate building of İnönü University. A collection of special belongings, photographs and documents belonging to İnönü is exhibited in the museum.
Venk Monastery / Chapel
It is located within the borders of Çamurlu Village of Malatya central district. In the inscription on the entrance door, you can read the following sentence: "St. Kirkor's door was built on the 18 March 1670, by the hand of Simon Gabiskos." The main building of worship is still standing. To the right and left of the apse is the place of the saints. According to the inscription on the door, it is understood that the chapel was built in reference to Kirkor the Illuminator.
There is no record of the construction date of the Millet Han in Arapgir district. It is stated that it was built by the people of the district in the 1850s. It has been used as a trade center for many years. The building shows an example of a trapezoidal plan. The two-story inn consists of a square-planned courtyard with an outdoor pool in the middle and shops lined up around this courtyard.
It is located in the west of Tohma Stream in Darende district, in the area between Somuncu Baba Tomb and the Ottoman Cemetery. It is an Ottoman structure. The castle goes down to the Ottoman Cemetery with a steep slope in the west direction. The gate entrance of the castle was built on the steep slope through which steep cliffs pass. The door has a single entrance and is made of cut stones. Due to the steepness of the rocks, the passage was only possible from this part. In the area on the hill and close to the Tohma Stream, the remains of the city walls are still standing in places.
Orduzu Plane Tree
The plane tree, known as the Plane Tree of Battalgazi, is located in Orduzu town, seven kilometers from Malatya. The circumference of the tree was measured as 7,20 meters. The tree, which is about 15 m in height, have branches 8–10 meters long. The body of the tree rotted from the inside and large cavities were formed. According to the legend, Battalgazi, believed to have lived in the 8th century, brought his animals to water here. After watering, he planted the plane stick in his hand on the side of the water and from that stick the present sycamore tree grew.
Arapgir Ulu Mosque
The Arapgir Ulu Mosque was built on a rocky slope that falls to the north of the old Arapgir Osman Pasha Mosque. Although this building is defined as the Ulu Mosque by the local people, it is not actually a mosque but a dervish (school) complex built with the Hankah with which it is connected.
It is at the junction of four roads at the intersection of Kışla Avenue and Tandoğan Avenue. The monument, whose construction started in 1945, was completed and opened in 1947. The monument consists of a combination of stone pedestals and bronze sculptures. Statues consist of Atatürk and a young athlete. Atatürk is taller than the young man, without a hat, wearing a military suit, with a cape behind him, his left foot forward and with the index finger of his right hand facing the young man holding the Turkish flag.
One of the mansions known as Five Mansions on Cinema Street serves as Ethnography Museum. The garden house, dated to the 1935-40s, has two floors and was built of mud brick. There are three rooms, a cooker and a kitchen on the right and left of the common space. There are six rooms on the upper floor where ethnographic works of Malatya and its region are exhibited.
Abdullah Ağa Mansion
The mansion, which is located in Yeşilyurt district, Mollakasım district, opposite the District Governorship Building, was built in the early 1900s. Traditional Yeşilyurt Houses are some of the best examples of architecture. Various spaces have been created by using the interior parts of the house with wood workmanship.
Yusuf Ziya Pasha Mosque
The mosque is located on İzzetiye district. There is an inscription on the entrance door. The six-couplet verse inscription on the entrance door has the date of 1792.
Hasan Basri Mausoleum
Masoleum is located in Battalgazi district. Since the tomb was moved from the village of Korucuk, which is under the Karakaya Dam Lake, it is sometimes referred to as the Korucuk Tomb.
Traditional Malatya mansions are generally two-storey and have a unique building style. Due to the climate of the region, the houses are detached buildings with thick walls and small windows that fit together. Three-storey houses are also found in some examples. In these buildings, the ground floors consist of various sections in accordance with the service they will provide. Stone, adobe and wood are the common architectural building elements. Foundations ; It is made of cut stone, raised one meter above the ground. Wood is used in places such as doors, windows, room floors and ceilings, wall beams, exterior joinery, stairs, cabinets, cupboards and hangers. Iron is used especially in the ventilation and lighting parts above the windows and doors that are carefully processed.
Köprülü Mehmet Pasha Mosque
It is a single minaret mosque in Hekimhan district and 50 meters southeast of Taşhan and was built in 1661. There is an inscription written in calligraphy on the entrance door to the main place. The date 1815 is read in the repair inscription of the mosque.